The RYA Day Skipper five-day course will take you to the level where you can skipper a small yacht on short passages by day and be in charge and responsible for the safety of your crew.
You will be instructed on boat handling under power and sail, deck work, navigation, seamanship, meteorology, rules of the road, engines, maintenance, pilotage, emergency situations and passage making.
In 5 days you will gain the knowledge and experience that may otherwise take a number of years to obtain without expert instruction and the confidence to take on the challenge of being a skipper for friends and family.
Course Details & Aims
- Improve your boat handling, navigation and leadership
- Pre-course experience: 5 days sea time, 100 miles with 4 night hours
- Assumed knowledge: basic navigation and sailing ability
- Ability after course will be to skipper a small yacht in familiar waters by day
- Duration 5 days
- preparation for sea
- maintenance and repair work
- yacht handling under power
- passage making
- deck work
- rules of the road
- emergency situations
- man overboard recovery
- yacht handling under sail