The RYA competent crew course is for beginners and those who have had a previous brief introduction to sailing and would like to become active crew members rather than just passengers.
At the conclusion of the course you should be able to take the helm, trim and handle sails, keep a lookout, assist in emergency situations with knowledge of fire fighting, using distress flares, know rules of the road on the sea, row a dinghy and assist in all the day to day routines of life onboard a cruising yacht. Plus you should be able to make a great cup of coffee!
The 5 day course takes you to the required level of seamanship and helmsmanship to be a useful member of the crew.
Course Details & Aims
- Introduction to sail yacht cruising
- Pre-course experience and assumed knowledge: NONE
- Put you at ease on the water and give you knowledge and practise to help sail a yacht
- To open up new experiences for holidays and life on the water
- Ability after course – to be a useful crew member on a sailing yacht
- Duration 5 Days
- nautical terms
- ropework and tying alongside
- safety on board
- man overboard
- rules of the road
- points of sail
- general duties
- sail handling
- fire hazards and fighting
- emergency equipment
- manners and customs